It’s been an intense and surprising week. I’m looking forward to getting some much needed rest over the weekend, while finalizing plans for some busy weeks ahead, including a long weekend at the San Miniato Truffle fair and my first time cooking Thanksgiving dinner. What will you be up to this weekend?
Some Friday Links:
- What the dissolution of the family farm has to do with the rise of Trump.
- What might Trump’s win mean for food?
- Apologies, for non-Italian speakers as I could only find this story in Italian, but Mirko Stocchetto–the inventor of the Negroni Sbagliato or mistaken Negroni passed away yesterday. The Negroni Sbagliato tones down the famous Negroni cocktail by replacing the gin with prosecco.
- Peanut oil is trending.
- Your brain on flavor.
- A new study links many emulsifiers commonly used in high end kitchens–lecithin, xanathan gum and carrageenan–to cancer.
- For the next time I’m in Venice.
- Mozzarella cheesecake.
- Might be a good weekend to make some tortellini.
- Speakeasies are fun like cocktails and I’m always looking for another bar to try in Rome.
- For pasta nerds everywhere–what do pasta spirals, neutron stars and your cells have in common?
- Zombies, craft beer and Bourdain in the same sentence will always get attention.
- It’s definitely time to re-watch this great film.
- Wise words from Chef Dan Barber that bear repeating. Also if you still haven’t read The Third Plate, you really should.